Monday, October 8, 2012

Going Public with My Sexuality

My plan originally was to only come out to my family and my girlfriend but that soon changed.

As I was going about dealing with the coming out process with my family I kept looking things up that could be of use to them and me. While I had come to terms with things as a whole and felt comfortable with where I was and where I was headed I still felt I needed more information to help me through this process. I was also meeting and getting to know more people in the LGBT community. In this process I found many stories of people struggling with reconciling their beliefs and their sexuality. I found many myths and negative views and such about homosexuality. It made me sad and frustrated.

This was when I felt that I needed to do something. So after much thought and soul searching I decided that I would start making my story more public. I would help add my voice to those that are out there to help others. I feel that the more there is discussion about these issues the more the facts can come out. It can also help with the way people are treated. It can not only help those that are straight to learn about being LGBT but also those that are struggling with it and coming to terms with their sexuality. I especially thought that it could help in the Mormon community. Help erase some of the hate. I thought it could also show that you can reconcile both sexuality and beliefs and be a bisexual Mormon.

I knew there would be consequences of this decision but I felt the positive outweighed the negative. While now I'm writing anonymously I am doing this because I am currently not in a position to reveal my identity due to my current circumstances in life. One day I may be able to reveal my identity without problems but at this point I can only do what I'm able to.

I also am in the process of coming out to those I'm close to and I want to be the one to tell them and not have them hear it from a third party.

No comments:

Post a Comment